Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunflower Festival


  


Sunflowers make the world a brighter place – and the sunflower festival is just what we needed to brighten up our weekend!  Yesterday was cold and dreary, but today was crisp and cool but sunny and in the 60's.  My friend Amber mentioned this place and I thought what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon!


The sunflower fields are in Nakagusutru, not far from where we live - maybe 4 miles? - and tucked neatly in between several Japanese housing areas. As we came upon the first of the four fields, I realized just how big and beautiful the flowers really are! The flowers stand at least 5 feet tall with paths weaving and winding throughout, creating a sort of sunflower maze effect. Some of the paths are covered with cardboard or wood, enabling you to avoid dirt and mud, but Wyatt loved running through the bare dirt paths with the Japanese kids!

As we left the first field and walked up the path to the second field, there were a few vendors selling some produce and traditional Japanese foods. Wyatt scored an enormous bag of cotton candy for 500 Yen, which I promptly had him share with his new Japanese friend, and at the end of the path I purchased a large bouquet of sunflowers for only 300 Yen. There was festive Japanese music playing from a sound system, and a performer beating a drum to the music.


The second field of sunflowers has a raised platform, enabling you to take elevated pictures of the entire sunflower field. There are tons of great photo opportunities, and being the only Americans among a sea of friendly Japanese folks, we had a lot of offers to take pictures for and with us! In fact, less than a minute of getting out of the car, we were stopped by five friendly older (60 years old?) Japanese women who loved on Livy and then asked to have their picture taken with us!  They were so sweet. 

We had a great afternoon enjoying our lovely little island. I am LOVING this weather and all the awesome outdoor activities I can do with the kiddos!!! We are finally really starting to feel at home here (even though we miss you all & the U.S. terribly!)

1 comment:

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

What a lovely post. I'd love to be in a field of flowers. The kids are getting so tall.
Had Valentine supper with your folks..they are really getting excited about their visit. I know they will love it.
Hey it might be 40 here today!!! almost a 60 degree change in last week.
You seem to have many activities on that little island. Good you take advantage of it all.
Thanks for the update. Enjoy all that comes your way. Hug ALL your family for us. I miss you guys.